August 26, 2010
I can safely say that I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel with this project. My goal is to finish it up this weekend… which is a lofty goal, I admit, but one I am going to strive for anyway. Here’s where I stand so far:
The front is complete!
I have it laying over my guest bed, so that’s the red you see peeking out from under it. I like the length that it hangs down the sides of the bed, just a bit longer than a comforter. I went to the store yesterday and purchased some low loft batting (on sale for 40% off!) and the fabric for the backing (on SALE for $1.99/yd!). I’m not ashamed to say that I am always on the lookout for a great deal.
That brings me to a few mentionable notes:
~ Keep tabs on your quilt measurements when you go to purchase the batting. I bought pre-cut batting in a bag, but opted for the king size, even though this is a queen size quilt, because the queen size pre-cut was just a few inches short.
~ If you are going to use denim in your project, like I did, know that you are going to wind up with a heavy quilt, which will make maneuvering and getting it through a sewing machine a little more difficult.
And for today’s question: How am I going to go about finishing this quilt since I don’t have a large enough area of empty floor space on which to lay it out flat? Suggestions would be helpful.
August 20, 2010
I am so excited to have put a big dent in my tee shirt quilt this past week! I had an extra day off of work (today), so that has helped out a lot.
Here’s where I stand so far:
All tee shirts have had interfacing applied, and all quilt pieces have been cut and all vertical columns have been sewn together.
I have the first two columns on the left side sewn to each other. Here’s a pic of them folded over so you can see a bit of the back as well.
Here are a few notes at this point in the process:
~Pay attention to the stretchiness of your denim fabric. Some of my jeans had more stretch in them than other pairs.
~Don’t forget to swap out your sewing machine needle for one made to handle heavy duty fabric. I’m using a 16, and it seems to be doing very well.
~I sewed back and forth a few times across areas where four pieces of fabric meet, just to add a little more strength in those seams.
~Don’t forget to press out the seams.
That’s all for now. Hopefully, I’ll finish up in the next week, and we’ll get to see the finished product!
This past Monday was my dear hubby’s birthday! He is such a a wonderful husband and friend, and daddy (to our puppies!). He’s a good son, a hard worker, a man of God, and I am proud to be his “missus”. 🙂
August 12, 2010
Here’s a little idea about what kind of materials you might be looking at if you decide to tackle a tee shirt quilt yourself.
The dimensions of a queen sized comforter, according to this page from Bed Bath and Beyond, is 86″ x 94″.
I have ironed approximately 7.5 yards of interfacing onto the back of my tee shirt pieces, each measuring 14″sq.
After dismantling four pairs of jeans, and turning them into some of my denim pieces, I have purchased two more yards of denim fabric (30% off at Jo-Ann!) to make up the difference.
I still have to purchase the batting and fabric for the back of the quilt.
I have been cutting denim for the past three days, and I see the end in sight! Hopefully, I’ll finish up cutting the denim tomorrow, and then I’ll be ready to start piecing together the front. Pics to come!
August 9, 2010
**Quick follow-up to my last post**
Along with his love for coaching football and playing video games, my hubby also has a passion for directing and editing videos, which is a good thing, since it also happens to be what he does for a living. He has recently combined these three areas of expertise, and begun a You Tube video series called “Anatomy of the Game”, where he uses the Backbreaker video game to coach football technique. At this moment he has three videos up, and is working on the fourth as I type. It’s really neat, and he does a wonderful job! Check him out at http://www.youtube.com/user/newberry94005. And just to whet your appetite, here’s his trailer.
Now, on to the crafting!
I have finally begun work on my theatre tee shirt quilt. My sister’s first attempt at this project turned out so well, that I have been inspired enough to once and for all begin work on my own. (You can check out her finished project in my post Keeping The Memories.)
Instead of doing a How To for this project once I have completed it, I have decided to chronicle my progress as I go, since it is such a large project. We will all find out together if it turns out well in the end!
For starters, I came up with a design. As I said in Keeping The Memories, I liked Julee’s design so much I used it as inspiration. After printing out a few pages of graph paper, and taping them together, I drew up my design using queen size comforter dimensions as a general guideline.
Once I had all of my piece measurements worked out, and not forgetting to add a bit for seam allowances, I measured and cut out some cardboard templates to use for the multitude of pieces that will have same dimensions.
After washing and drying my tee shirts and blue jeans, I ironed on some interfacing to the insides of the front and back of the tee shirts before using one of my templates to cut out 14″ x 14″ squares from each side.
Some of my older pairs of jeans that have also mysteriously gotten too small to wear will supply the rest of the fabric in the pattern. Included with these jeans is a pair that I wore as part of my costume in “Godspell”, my first college production. These jeans have a an awesome embroidered design all the way down the outside of both legs, from the hip to the ankle, and they’re going to make a great addition to the quilt.
Yay for good memories! And what a great way to preserve them. Thanks to Julee for putting a bit of fire under my bottom to get the project going. I’ll have more updates as things progress. 🙂